Education/Experience: Originally from California, I have lived in the Four Corners region of the desert southwest since 1994. I hold a B.A. degree in Fine Art, with a minor in Integrative Studies from Prescott College, Arizona. I also hold an Associate of Arts degree in Graphic Design. Part of my education included classes at the San Francisco Art Institute and the San Francisco Academy of Art University. At the S.F.A.I., where I was awarded a scholarship to attend, the focus was on drawing and painting. At the Academy of Art, it was illustration. Each school had a distinctive approach to education, the S.F.A.I. emphasizing "fine art", the Academy "commercial art". Both approaches proved valuable, and helped broaden my perspectives into the art world.
Two teachers I would like to mention who heavily influenced my art education are figurative painter, Kent Rupp, who, as a master draftsman, taught me everything I know about drawing, and Wally Hedrick (1928-2003) - an iconic figure in the San Francisco art scene and "beat era" of the 1950's - who by example taught me the value of living true to one's vision and ideals.
Although much of my work in recent years has been for the National Parks and Monuments and the outdoor adventure/eco-tourism industry, I have completed projects for a variety of clients with varied needs. These include book & magazine publishers, educational institutions, technology companies, the wine industry, arts organizations, non-profits, as well as other design firms and advertising agencies.
Classes/Workshops for 2016 & 2017: Please note 3 new teaching venues (Oregon & California) listed below as #7, 8, 9, 10.
1) Mentor, Prescott College, Tucson, AZ An ongoing mentorship program, where I teach drawing, painting, and illustration.
2) Art Institute, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum - Plein Air Painting with Watercolor, Fri-Sun., November 4-7, 10-4pm. Using the Museum grounds as our subject matter, we'll be enjoying outdoor painting with watercolor as our medium of choice. To register, please visit www.desertmuseum.org/arts
3) Art Institute, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum - Scratchboard, Ink & Watercolor: Monochromatic to Full Color. Class will explore our options of whether to maintain a monochromatic or full color use of scratchboard. Mondays, 9-12 noon, November 7, 14, 28, (no class on the 21st), December 5, 12. To register, please visit www.desertmuseum.org/arts
4) Art Institute, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum - Open Studio: Watercolor. With watercolor as our focus, this is an opportunity to try a new project or finish up one of those lingering paintings, half-done and shouting to be completed in a supportive, non-threatening setting. Mondays, 1-4pm, November 7, 14, 28, (no class on the 21st), December 5, 12. To register, please visit www.desertmuseum.org/arts
5) Art Institute, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum - No Holds Barred: Mixed Media Sketching. With the emphasis on experimentation and play, Mixed Media Sketching requests you bring a minimum of 3 mediums with which to draw with. Some suggestions: graphite, pen & ink, watercolor, colored inks, or acrylic. Wenesdays, 1-4pm, November 9, 16, 30, (no class on the 23rd), December 7, 14. To register, please visit www.desertmuseum.org/arts
6) Art Institute, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum - Acrylic Landscape Painting: A Painterly Approach. The word 'painterly' refers to a looser, more impressionistic style of painting. Working from photos our goal is to interpret, not copy the photo, using a more expressive, less-detailed style of applying paint. Thursdays, 1-4pm, November 10, 17 (no class on the 24th), December 1, 8, 15. To register, please visit www.desertmuseum.org/arts
Community Performance & Art Center (CPAC) - I'll be teaching at CPAC in the Spring, 2017. Every Tuesday, beginning the second Tuesday in Janurary, 2017. More specifics to come. To learn more, please visit www.performingartscenter.org/programs/adult-education/workshops/
7) "Scratchboard & Watercolor: Drawing with Painting" - Sitka Center for Art and Ecology, Otis, Oregon. 10a.m.-4p.m., June 17,18,19, 2016. To register for the course, please visit www.sitkacenter.com/classses/detail
8) Oregon Society of Artists: class demo for Oct.workshop in Scratchboard/Watercolor. Class demo date: Aug. 11 at 11a.m., OSA
9) "Scratchboard & Watercolor: Drawing with Painting" - Oregon Society of Artists, Portland, OR. A 3-day workshop, 9a.m.-4p.m., October, 14, 15, 16, 2016. Visit OregonSocietyofArtists.com/workshops.html to register.
10) "Scratchboard & Watercolor: Combining Drawing with Painting" - Paso Robles Art Association, Studiios on the Park, Paso Robles, California; 3-day workshop, Oct. 28-30, 2016; please visit www.studiosonthepark.org for registration.
Partial Client List:
Abercrombie & Kent/Sheri Griffith Expeditions, ABsolute Pilates, Arches National Park, Association of Partners for Public Lands, A/M Studios, Bureau of Land Management, Canyonlands Advertising, Canyonlands Natural History Association, Castle Creek Winery, Cobalt Fine Arts Gallery, Country Jam USA, Environmental Technology Center/Sonoma State University, Glen Ellen Winery, Glacier National Park, Grand Canyon Association, Hovenweep National Monument, Joshua Tree National Park, JW Morris Winery, Karin Newby Gallery, KC Publications, Kodiak Convention & Visitors Bureau, Men's Journal, Mesa Verde National Park, Moab Folk Festival (Canyonlands Advertising), Moab Music Festival, National Geographic Society, National Geographic School Publishing, National Parks Conservation Association, Optical Coating Lab, Inc.(OCLI), Oregon Zoo (Portland), Patagonia, Pinnacles National Park, Red Cliffs Desert Reserve, Retail Packaging Association, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Santa Rita Lodge, Save Our Wild Salmon Coalition, Sequoia Natural History Association, Tucson Musicians Museum, U.S. Marine Corps (Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs Division), USS Arizona Memorial National Park, UU Magazine, Virgin River Land Preservation Association, Windsor Vineyards, Yosemite Association, Zion National Park & Zion Natural History Association.
Art Exhibits, Awards, Collections
2016 - Jury selected to the 7th Annual Nature & Wildlife Exhbit, St. Augustine Art Assoc., Florida (2 works selected)
2016 - Sitka Center for Art & Ecology, Oregon: taught 3-day scratchboard/watercolor workshop, June 17-19th
2016 - Jury Selected to 2016 Artists for Conservation members exhibit: 2 works selected; Vancouver, BC, Canada
2016 - “A Compendium of Beasts” - "Grizzly" jury selected to group show-Cannon Beach Gallery, Cannon Beach, OR
2016- Cattlemen's Western Art Show & Sale, April 8-10, 2016, Pasol Robles, CA
2016 - Jury selected to the 5th Annual International Society of Scratchboard Artists Member's Exhibit. Ironwood Gallery, Arizona-Sonora Desert Muesum, Tucson, AZ - for "Grand Canyon Color"
2016 - Jury selected to 31st Annual Yosemite Renaissance art exhibit, Yosemite Museum Gallery, Yosemite National Park, CA - for "Vernal Falls Moonlight"
2015 - Included in the article, "How to Use Ritual to Find Your Creative Zone," Chas Martin, author, Professional Artist Magazine, December, 2015 - January, 2016 issue
2015 - Awarded "Blue Ribbon"/cash award - 52nd annual Lake Oswego Festival of the Arts - "Grizzly" - sb/wc
2015 - Committee selected for cash award, Arizona-Sonora Deset Museum, Desert Gala fundraising event
2015 - Jury selected to the Artists for Conservation annual members exhibit, Grouse Mountain, Vancouver, Canada
2015 - Jury selected to the International Society of Scratchboard Artists, Delaplaine Visual Arts Center, Frederick, MD
2015 - Invited to the 7th annuanl Grand Canyon Celebration of Art, Grand Canyon, AZ
2015 - Invited to the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum Art Institute & Science Museum of the National Independent University of Mexico, Mexico City, Group Show, Mar. 12-May 31, 2015.
2015 - Published in January issue, Southwest Art as a finalist in Animal/Wildlife category, Artist's Magazine art competition
2015 - Invited to the 2015 Cattlemen's Western Art Show and Sale, March 27-29, Paso Robles, California
2014 - Published in Artists for Conservation hardcover companion book for members exhibit, for my entry, "Ocelot"
2014 - Artist's Magazine's 31st Annual Art Competition - jury selected for the Animal/Wildlife category for "Ocelot"
2014 - Artists for Conservation - jury selected to annual members virtual exhibit, Vancouver, BC, Canada, 2014
2014 - Selected 'Artist of the Month,' May, 2014, Artist's Magazine (see link above to read article)
2014 - Guild of Natural Science Illustrators - jury selected to member's exhibit: University of Colorado Museum of Natural History, Boulder, CO
2013 - America's Parks II - jury selected for 2 works, including Award for Honorable Mention-national touring exhibit
2013 - Paint the Parks, Coutts Museum of Art, El Dorado, Kansas: jury selected scratchboard/watercolor piece
2013 - Artist's Magazine's 30th Annual Art Competion - 2 scratchboard/watercolor pieces were jury selected
2013 - Tubac Center of the Arts - jury selected to annual Member's Exhibit - watercolor piece
2013 - International Society of Scratchboard Artists - members juried exhibit - Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
2013 - Tubac Center of the Arts juried exhibit, Border Celebrations - "Open Space" (oil) - Honorable Mention
2013 - Grand Canyon Celebration of Art - Invited to 5th Annual - Kolb Studio, Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
2012 - Artists for Conservation - two works selected to the juried "Virtual Exhibit" - published in hard cover book (above)
2012 - Guild of Natural Science Illustrators - Members Annual Juried Exhibit - Savannah College of Art & Desgin, GA
2012 - International Society of Scratchboard Artists - members juried exhibt - ARThouse Gallery, Glen Ellen, CA
2012 - Grand Canyon Celebration of Art - Invited to 4th Annual - Kolb Studio, Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
2011 - Paint the Parks Top 100 Mini - National Touring group show
2011 - Southwest Contemporary Realism - Arroyo Gallery, Santa Fe, New Mexico
2011 - Grand Canyon Celebration of Art - Invited to 3rd Annual - Kolb Studio, Grand Canyon National Park
2010 - Grand Canyon Celebration of Art - Invited to 2nd Annual - Kolb Studio, Grand Canyon National Park
2009 - Grand Canyon Celebration of Art - Invited to 1st Annual - Kolb Studio, Grand Canyon Nationa Park
2008 - Zion National Park: A Century of Sanctuary St. George Art Museum, St. George, Utah
2008 - Guild of Natural Science Illustrators - Members Annual Juried Exhibit - Cornell University, New York
2007 - Paint the Parks Top 100 - National Touring group show
2006 - Legacy of Grand Canyon Art - Kolb Studio, Grand Canyon NP - exhibit of GCA and Park's permanent collection
2006 - Guild of Natural Science Illustrators - Members Annual Juried Exhibit - Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
2004 - Arts for the Parks - Mini 100, Jackson, Wyoming
2003 - Guild of Natural Science Illustrators - Members Annual Juried Exhibit - Denver Museum of Nature & Science
2001 - 9th Biennial National Juried Exhibition - Dinnerware Gallery, Tucson, Arizona
2000 - Northwest New Mexico Arts Council Regional Juried Art Show - Gateway Museum, Farmington, New Mexico
2013 - Honorable Mention - America's Parks II - national touring show - "Gray Hawk;" scratchboard/watercolor
2013 - Honorable Mention - Border Celebrations, Tubac Center of the Arts, Tubac, AZ-juried group show-"Open Space" oil
2012 - People's Choice Award - Guild of Natural Science Illustrators members juried exhibit for "Scrub Jay" sb/wc
2010 - Nominated for best "Children's Picture Book," ForeWord Book Awards for illustrated book, "In Madera Canyon"
2008 - Jurors Award - "Virgin River, Late Afternoon Light" - St. George Art Museum/Zion NP Centennial Art Exhibit - acrylic
2000 - Third Place - "The Yazzie Brothers" - Northwest New Mexico Arts Council Regional Juried Show - acrylic painting
2015 - "Return of the Condor" - sb/wc piece in the permanent Grand Canyon Museum Collection, National Park Service
2015 - "Federico Ronstadt" - Tucson Musicians Museum, Tucson, AZ - acrylic on canvas
2008 - "Virgin River, Late Afternoon Light" - St. George Art Museum, St. George, Utah - acrylic painting
2006 - "Desert Wildflower Series: Prickly Pear Cactus" - Grand Canyon Association, Grand Canyon Nat'l Park - wc
2006 - "El Capitan" - Patagonia - scratchboard/watercolor
1998 - "Owl Night Long" - Grand County, Utah - scratchboard
1975 - Untitled - Sonoma State University, California - monoprint
Memberships and additonal websites displaying work:
Artists for Conservation (6-year member) www.natureartists.com
Guild of Natural Science Illustrators (20-year member / now retired)
International Society of Scratchboard Artists, Signature Member (3-year member) www.scratchboardsociety.com
Oregon Society of Artists (first year member) - Portland, Oregon
Fine Art World @ www.WheelerArtWorks.fineartworld.com
Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum www.desertmuseum.org
where I'll be teaching my 11th year at the Art Institute wing of the museum - January-April, 2016 (see class listing above).
Gallery inquiries welcome.
In recent years, my work has been exhibited in Arts for the Parks, Grand Canyon 'Celebration of Art' (6 of 7 years), Paint the Parks, Zion National Park's 'Century of Sanctuary' (Juror's Award), and a number of Guild of Natural Science Illustrators member's exhibits, among others.
My work is in the permanent collection of Grand Canyon National Park, St. George Art Museum (Utah), Sonoma State University (California), as well as several private collections throughout the U.S. and Europe.
Please revisit, as I update the site frequently. Thank you.